It’s that time of the year where we get to unwind and enjoy quality time with our family, friends and pets. However, the holidays can also be a trying time for many, including those less fortunate animals that don’t have a family of their own.
That’s why Lokuno, together with the loyal support of their customers, are donating a total of R80 000 to four animal welfare organisations across the country, and just in time for Christmas too!
Inspired by the Zulu words “nutritious” and “simple”, Lokuno believes that every pet deserves access to nutritious, wholesome food. That’s why the brand developed an affordably priced pet food, packed with high-quality ingredients, and free from artificial colourants, flavourants, by-products and added sugars. Lokuno also supports local businesses, as all pet food is manufactured right here in South Africa.
Not only does this local pet food brand make healthy pet food affordable and accessible, but for every single bag, box or tin of Lokuno pet food sold they also donate a portion of proceeds to animal welfare.
And thanks to the support of our Lokuno customers, this initiative means that Lokuno is able to donate R80 000 to various well-deserving animal welfare organisations in the Western Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and Gqeberha, this holiday.
“The phone call regarding the donation left me speechless. The COVID-19 pandemic has severely affected our fundraising opportunities which in turn affected the number of animals we were able to help. Our organisation’s main objective is preventative care. Sterilising and vaccinating animals for rabies, parvo and distemper is a main focus and this donation will allow us to continue our outreach work and in fact extend it. We thank Lokuno and Absolute Pets for blessing us and the animals we help.” - Farrah Maharajh, Feeding the Furballs.
- Established in 2014, Feeding the Furballs provides food, supplies and a sanctuary for rescue animals in KwaZulu-Natal.
- If you’d like to make a monetary donation to this organisation, or donate items that they most desperately need, visit their website for more information here.
In Gqeberha, Save-a-Pet will receive R20 000
“We would like to thank Lokuno for their amazing donation towards our work. The last two years have been a real challenge, with many being impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This in turn has affected both our incoming donations and fundraising activities. Through careful planning, adjustments, and the kindness of our supporters like Lokuno, we have been able to continue to provide our rescue dogs and cats with good quality food, medical care, a comfortable environment and mental enrichment.” Leigh Done, Save-a-Pet.
- Established in 1998, Save-a-Pet rescues, rehabilitates, and rehomes abandoned, abused, lost and stray dogs & cats. Their sterilisation efforts aim to curb the number of homeless animals in the community, and thereby promote animal welfare. They currently have 230 dogs and cats under their care.
- If you’d like to sponsor, donate, volunteer or adopt, please visit the Save-a-Pet website
“We really appreciate the donation from Lokuno. Running Border Collie Rescue for the last 30 odd years has become my life's work. Like every other organisation, the COVID-19 pandemic has brought many challenges, with so many people and animals losing their livelihoods and their homes. As a result, many Collies have joined us over this period, and making ends meet has become a real challenge. So, your donation will keep our dog food bins full for 3 months. We’ll also concentrate on getting them sterilised and microchipped. Then rehabilitation and rehoming.” - Karen van Rosenveld, Border Collie Rescue, Cape Town.
- Established in 1998, Border Collie Rescue, Cape Town rehabilitates and rehomes stray, rescued and unwanted Border Collies. These dogs are kept in large, open spaces where they get to play and socialise.
- If you’d like to support this organisation and the amazing work that they do for Border Collies, take a look at their wishlist
In Gauteng, Underdogs SA (UDSA) will receive R20 000
“As an NPO we rely on the public for donations and sponsorships. We also rely on volunteers to help at the kennels on a daily basis. Without all of this, our success would not be possible. We have truly been blessed with amazing donations from Lokuno this year, and no words can describe how thankful we are. Thank you for all your love and support. Our dogs will have a wonderful Christmas all thanks to your generosity. We will always be the voice for the voiceless!” – Marichelle du Plessis, UDSA.
- Established in 2011, UDSA rehabilitates and rehomes American Pit Bull Terriers into loving homes. While in rehabilitation, these dogs are given daily exercise and socialisation. Another key focus of UDSA is educating the public about misconceptions of this breed.
- If you’d like to get involved and help this organisation, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, or donate via the ‘backabuddy’
As a brand, Lokuno is very proud to be able to support some of the hardworking organisations in South Africa that are dedicated to helping animals. We are also extremely grateful to our customers who support our brand and play a key role in making this donation possible.
To find out more about Lokuno pet food, visit www.lokuno.co.za