Tick and flea infestations that are left untreated can be very expensive for a dog owner but also detrimental to the health of your pet. If your dog gets bitten by ticks and fleas, they can end up with skin infections, tick bite fever, canine pancytopenia or contract tapeworms. To prevent this from happening, it is important to ensure your dog is protected against fleas and ticks all year round. This can be done using a flea and tick treatment, such as Bravecto or NexGuard Spectra.
In this blog post, we will discuss how often flea and tick treatments can be given to your dog, as well as the treatment options that are available.
How Often Does a Dog Need Flea and Tick Treatment?
Dogs require constant flea and tick treatment throughout the year. Depending on which flea and tick treatment used, you will give it to your dog once a month or every few months. It can be easy to forget to treat your dog, so we advise you set an alarm on your phone or mark it on your calendar, to ensure your dog and home remain safe from infestations.
Which Flea and Tick Treatment is Best for Dogs?
There are a variety of treatments and prevention methods available for fleas and ticks. Some of the methods can be used in conjunction with one another; however, the treatment method you choose depends on what is easiest for you and most comfortable for your dog.
- Drops: There are numerous brands that offer this treatment. You will typically apply a few drops on the nape of the neck every few weeks.
- Chews: Flea and tick prevention chews are probably the easiest way to administer treatment to your dogs, and the best part is, they are flavoured which means it is more likely your dog will take it without fuss. You simply give it to them, disguised as a treat or hidden in their food. How often you do this depends on which product you have chosen, so it's important to follow the instructions provided on or inside the packaging.
- Collar: A flea and tick collar can be effective for up to 8 months. This an easy option that allows you to live worry-free for a longer period of time.
- Shampoo: A flea- and tick-repellent shampoo is a great way to get rid of all ticks and fleas if your dog is already infected. After washing your dog, you can then make use of a preventative method.
- Spray: A tick and flea-repellent spray is a fast way to protect your dog and is long-lasting. It is advisable to look for a spray that is waterproof.
Visit the Absolute Pets online store to find the best tick and flea solutions for your dog.